Slumber Party Eyes Cake How-To June 21, 2016 – Posted in: DIY – Tags: Cake, DIY, linen launch, slumber party
So we’re sure you saw all the hype about our Slumber Party Linen Launch we held a few weeks ago. If not, here’s a link to a post that has the low-down 😉 Besides for the glorious DIY hot chocolate station kitted out with every sweet you could imagine, our in-house baker made us this cute Eye motif cake.
With a little help from Robyn who drew the eye guidelines, Nikki created a custom little cake that totally matched our Slumber Party theme!
To make your own you will need:
- A cake board a little bigger than your cake
- 3 round unfrosted cake layers
- 2 cups of frosting coloured and flavoured as you wish, plus extra to colour black and pipe the eyes
- an offset spatula
- a turntable (if you can get one)
- bench scraper
- piping bag
- small round nozzle
- candy floss
- edible decorations of your choice
- Place a dollop of your frosting on your cake board on your turn table and place your first cake layer in the center. Evenly spread 2 large table spoons of frosting on top of the cake layer, neatly till the edges. Place the next cake layer on top and repeat the frosting step. Place your last cake layer, bottom up on top and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove the stacked cake from the fridge and, placing a large dollop of frosting on top, neatly spread it with your off-set spatula working towards the edges of the cake. Working like a plasterer, start covering the sides of your cake with your off-set spatula, working until it is completely covered. Once covered, use your bench scraper to smooth around the edges a bit. Place the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once again, remove the cake from the fridge. Run your bench scraper under hot water, dry and use to smooth the sides of the cake. Use your off-set spatula to smooth the edges so that they are nice and sharp!
- Use your toothpick to draw guidelines into the frosting of where you will be piping the eyes. Fill the piping bag with the black frosting and carefully pipe along the guides. Don’t rush! Once you’ve piped the eyes place the cake in the fridge one last time to set for atleast 15 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, take the cake out of the fridge, place the candy floss on top and sprinkle with glitter and edible decorations. Make sure you do this just before serving as the candy floss absorbs moisture from the air and becomes all sticky.
Nikki & The Zana Girls xx